You might not know Emil & Friends but let us introduce you. Emil is a producer-musician-writer-singer-record-slinger originally from Massachusetts. While alone in the studio, he plays live with help of a band. He has released his tunes as Emil & Friends on such labels as Transparent, Cantora, KitsunÃ©, and Rimeout Japan. Now confined to a loft studio in Bushwick (NY) with all his bizarre equipment, he holds down a slew of quirky part-time jobs and DJ spots to keep things going. Producing and writing with various groups around the city, he continues work on his symphonies, his short films, his noise band, and his rap album. A recent development has been a cover of Body Language’s single “You Can” and here we get a taste of Emil’s wonderful falsetto. His take on the song is sexy and smooth slow groove.
Speaking of covers, we also asked Emil to tell us what some of his favorite were. And Emil’s top 5 covers are…
1. Lisa Bonet as Marie Desalle covering Peter Frampton in the movie High Fidelity:
2. Brothers Johnson covering “Strawberry Letter 23” by Shuggie Otis.
3. Radiohead covering “Nobody Does It Better” by Carly Simon. I mean, come the fuck on.
4. Kristen Stew-, I mean, Joan Jett covering “Crimson and Clover” by Tommy James. I know. I’m that guy. I put this on here.
5. David Bowie doing “China Girl” by Iggy Pop. I feel bad that i didn’t know Iggy wrote this, wow. The video is great though.
6. Oh and here is this: